This article is from the Gemological Institute of America Newsroom.
Jewelry is more than the finishing touch to an outfit; in some cultures, it’s the entire outfit. How do you start to build the perfect jewelry wardrobe-for yourself or for someone special? You could turn to what many consider the world’s foremost authority on gems and jewelry, the Gemological Institute of America, or GIA, to guide you through the “bauble basics.” First, remember to keep it simple, yet stunning and precious. Fine jewelry is meant to be worn, enjoyed and treasured forever.
Earrings, Earrings and More Earrings
1) Diamond studs. Most people can afford them since beautiful, quality stones are available in any price range and size, from discreet little pin dots to three carat headlights.
2) Gold hoops. From curvaceous huggies to three-inch loops…high polish or hammered satin…white, yellow or the hot new color, rose gold…hoops are always attractive yet always appropriate.
3) Pearls on a wire. Think Grace Kelly with the soft glow of a pearl near the hollow of your cheek. Pearl studs are great but add the slightly dangerous dangle from a wire? Mmmm.
4) Long drops. Flirty and fluid, they move with every breath. Nothing shorter than two inches from your lobe will do in every gem from white topaz briolettes to black onyx beads and a rainbow of gems in between.
5) Chandeliers. Sure, you’ll get more wear out of a sensible little clip, but all eyes will be on you with these. Tumbled and carved emeralds, rubies and mogul-cut diamonds, all intricately twined with burnished gold wires dripping from concentric crescents-very exotic.
6) Pendants are the foundation of your necklace collection. It can be a single stone on a delicate 16″ chain or a 4″ Gothic-inspired cross set with agate and carnelian on a 30″ rope. Express yourself with a lopsided heart or spiritual charm, or showcase your collection of vintage lapis lazuli good luck talismans.
7) Pearls. Ah…with a white shirt and jeans, a snappy business suit or a frothy wedding gown, you can’t find another investment that will take you through the moments of your life with such elegance, ease and warmth. Add one at a time or devour a luxurious rope. Or both.
8) Bangles,stacked or alone, skinny or wide, have been around forever, so how could you go wrong? Try tiny micropave pink sapphires in pink gold or oxidized brown-gold tubes studded with cognac diamonds.9) Charms…a good choice is always a wrist full of clinking, clanging doodads, but how about choosing just one remarkable medallion to hang from a lusty open link?
Your Ring…Your Signature
10) Be bold. Make a statement. Flash a cushion-cut citrine or cabochon green tourmaline the size of a quail’s egg. While you’re at it-wear it on your index finger.
For more information on gems and jewelry, check out www.gia.edu. GIA has tutorials and lots of information on all different kinds of gems, as well as how to choose a jeweler and care for your jewelry.
A range of jewelry styles can help enhance any mood and mode of dress.